Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 3 - already over 1,500 words

Yay for Saturdays and dogs waking you up early in the morning. At least being up early got me working on the book. I've worked on a couple of scenes and I've gotten over 1,500 words written so far. I'm at 25 single spaced pages in the word document. The book I've actually finished was 160 or so single spaced pages, so I've got a bit more to go, but I've got the complete outline. It's now just sitting down and writing it. I'm not done with writing for the day, but I wasn't going to have a chance to get back on here and post, so I wanted to do it now.

Here's another continuation to the last 2 posts. Same scene, just read the April 1st post, then the Day 2 post, then this excerpt. Enjoy!

Charlie pushed his cup around in a circle leaving a larger condensation ring than normal.
“Is it going to be weird for you to live in the same building as your sister?” Rachael asked.
“No, it'll be okay. We lived in the same house for years, and wasn't terrible. Plus, the dorm is much bigger.”
“It'll be easy to avoid him,” Sarah said. “I made a game of avoiding my brothers growing up.”
“She was really good at it when it came to Walter, our older brother, but I could normally find her.”
“I've gotten older and wiser. Don't underestimate me.” She raised her eyebrows.
“Oh, it's game on.” They laughed and sat looking at each other. The radio was playing in the background, but it was hours before any band would be coming on to create a distraction. Sarah started drumming her finger tips on the table.
The room was filled with booths along the wall and circle tables with chairs along the middle. There was a stage area opposite the bar which wasn't big, but it had the look of being used regularly. The bar had a brunette with a O'Nally's fitted t-shirt and jeans talking to a customer at the bar. She seemed to be funny because he kept laughing and every so often ordering a new drink.
“So, do you really believe in that statue story?” Leann asked.
“Are you asking me?” Charlie asked.
“Well, yes,” she said. “You were telling that story today. Do you really think it comes to life?”
“It's possible, isn't it? Otherwise you wouldn't be so curious about it.”
“It can't be possible. There's no such thing as wizards or spells or statues that come to life.” Leann leaned in. “If it is true, that's not really safe. Is it?”
“You're safe,” Sarah said. “Don't freak her out. The statue doesn't attack just anyone. You have to get in it's way or have what it wants.”
“I guess you believe the story too,” Rachael said.
“How could I not? My grandfather and my dad have notes. They've seen things. People disappearing, the statue not in it's spot in the middle of the night. These are all clear signs that it moves and takes people.”
“The disappearing people are just because there are people who aren't careful at night and we go to school not far from a rough neighborhood,” Rachael said. “That's what happens when we're thirty minutes from a big place like D.C.”
“You can't explain the statue not being where it's supposed to be though. What's with that?” Sarah asked.
“Okay, I've got food,” the waitress said, appearing out of no where. “The chicken strips.” She handed them to Sarah. “Chicken strip sandwich, no mayo, for Rachael. You had the chicken strip sandwich with everything. And you had this concoction,” she said, handing the last plate to Charlie. “Do you need anything else?” Everyone shook their head to signal they were fine.
“Thanks, Taylor,” Rachael said.
“No problem. Just let me know if you need anything else.” She walked over to a circle table with two people that had just sat down.
“Try this, Sarah,” Charlie said. “I told dad I'd get you to try it.”
“Fine, but when I don't like it you'll leave me alone, right?”
“Just take a bite.”
Sarah took the burger off the plate Charlie had slid toward her. A mushroom fell from the burger onto the plate. She looked at the melted swiss and cheddar cheeses melted on top of the bacon and hamburger patty. “At least it has lettuce and tomato on it.” She pushed the burger toward her mouth and took a big bite.
Charlie pulled his plate back toward him and put a big mound of ketchup next to his fries. “What do you think?” he asked.
“It's alright,” she said. “Was that jalapeƱos on there?”
“And onions, mushrooms, pickles, cheese and bacon. Along with the lettuce and tomato.”
She took his burger off his plate and took another bite. “You know, that's really not bad.”
“Give me my burger back, crazy.” He grabbed it from her hand. “You want me to bite your hand?”
“You told me to try it.”
“Try it, not steal it. If you want one, order one.”
“I've got chicken strips. I'll be okay. I'll definitely order one next time.”
“Does anyone else want a bite before I get a chance to eat?' Charlie asked.
“I'm okay,” Rachael said. “I'm not a fan of hot things.”
“I'll let you eat your dinner,” Leann said. “I've got my own.” She picked the burger up and took a bite. “It's really good. Thanks, Rachael.”
“No problem. It definitely my favorite. Sometimes I get it with pizza sauce. It's incredible like that.”
Charlie had his burger in one hand while he ate fries with the other. After another bite of the burger he put it down, but pulled his plate closer to him.
“Stop being paranoid, I'm not going to steal your food,” Sarah said. “If you keep acting like that I'll have a reason to try.”

No comments:

Post a Comment