Thursday, April 29, 2010

Magazine contests

Well, I haven't been blogging lately, but I have been writing. I haven't been keeping track of the word count, but I am being productive.

So, I'm submitting some short stories to two magazine contests. One story is going into a Family Matters genre at one competition, and hopefully 3-4 others will be submitted into a Writers Digest competition.

Lord, thank You for this ability you've given me! Thank you for the words I ran across in Proverbs 16:3 today - "Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed." Those are great words, and I thank You for that love Lord!

I'm about to submit the story for the Family Matters competition. Of course I've waited till the absolute last moment hehe. It's due tomorrow. :-) Below is the story I'm submitting to that one. Keep me in your prayers!

Annabel's Shoes
by: Jennifer Nelson

A little less than a month after we moved the final boxes of clothing and shoes into my sister, Annabel's, dorm room she still hadn't made any friends. I attributed this to the long phone conversations with her boyfriend back home, Nick. She constantly sat in her room moping about the loss of her social life. I was trying to be a good sister when I invited her to hang out with me one Saturday night.
“Come with us,” I said.
“You're leaving now?”
“That was the plan,” I said. “Everyone is hungry.”
“Oh, okay.”
“So, are you coming?”
“Sure. I'll be down in a minute.”
It seemed like an hour had passed before she actually made it downstairs. I assumed she had to do all her proper primping. Straighten her hair, put on her make-up, and find the right clothes. She always looked so perfect. I just had on a dorm t-shirt and a faded pair of jeans.
She walked out the door wearing her black pumps, her red tank top and a mini skirt that seemed to be missing material at the bottom.
“We were about to leave you,” I said.
“Sorry, Nick called,” she said. “And I had to straighten my hair. It looked pretty bad. You know how that goes.”
I rolled my eyes. “So how's Nick since you left?”
“He's fine,” she said. “He misses me.”
“He'll see you when we go home at Christmas,” I said.
They had been together two years, but she was always flirting with some other guy. I didn't blame her much. She planned on marrying Nick right out of high school, but that plan changed when he dropped out of college told her he had no intention of going back. It broke her heart. Since her dreams of being a housewife were ruined she decided to follow me to school in Mississippi, while the rest of her life stayed home in Texas.
“Are we going?” Annabel's roommate, Jessica, asked.
“Yeah, let's go,” I said.
“Good, I'm hungry,” Jessica said.
“Sorry,” Annabel said. “It's my fault.”
Jessica was the only friend Annabel really had at this point. Out of all the people I had introduced her to, Jessica seemed to be the only person who could tolerate the mood swings of my sister.
My recent crush, Johnny, said he'd meet us at Burger King. I saw him when we arrived and went over to say hello. When Annabel saw him she whispered something to Jessica. They laughed, ordered their food, and filled up their drinks.
Johnny was a pretty good friend of mine, but I couldn't really get closer than that. He was the first guy to make me so nervous I was actually speechless. I used to feel like a moron when I'd stumble over my feet and laugh incessantly at jokes that weren't funny.
“There's a seat right here,” Annabel said when he walked up. “So, how are you doing, Johnny?”
“Pretty good. Not sure I'm ready for classes to start though.”
“I understand that,” Annabel said.
“I'm going to have nineteen hours this semester. It's crap,” he said.
“Why so many?” Annabel asked.
“It's what my advisor suggested since I start co-oping in the spring.”
“What is co-oping?” Annabel asked.
“It's like an internship, but for engineers. I wish I could take this semester easy, though.”
“That sucks,” I said absentmindedly.
“What sucks?” he asked.
“Just that, well, you'll be so busy this semester. And then gone in the spring. You'll be busy and, well, I just want you to be able to relax.” He smiled at me.
“Number 547,” the burger king woman said.
“That's mine.” Johnny got up to retrieve his food.
“Must you flirt with ever guy?” I asked Annabel once he was out of ear shot.
“What are you talking about?” she asked.
“Nothing.”
Johnny came back with food and eventually we all had our numbers called. Annabel kept talking with Johnny, and I inhaled my food. When I finished I went up to the counter to order a Hershey's chocolate pie to make myself feel better.
“Are we ready to go?” Jessica asked. “I think it's about that time.”
“Just let me re-fill my drink first,” Annabel said. “I'm really thirsty. One glass just didn't do it for me.”
I walked out front and waited for them. I didn't feel like being around people anymore, but I knew walking alone at night wasn't the best idea.
“We should go out tonight,” Annabel said when we all got outside.
“I don't know,” Johnny said. “It depends on what we do.”
“Michelle, wouldntitbefuntogodancing?” Annabel asked.
“What?” I really wasn't paying attention.
“Dancing, Michelle. Wouldn't it be fun? We should go tonight.”
“Um, okay. If you want,” I mumbled.
“Johnny, you have to come with us.” Annabel patted his shoulder. “Have you ever been out dancing? We love it.”
We started walking back towards their dorm. Annabel was telling a high school story to Johnny and Jessica. I slowed down to avoid hearing their conversation. Plus, I didn't want to watch and create ideas in my head about the way he was looking at her. I knew if he liked her I was better off knowing then.
This wasn't the first time I believed that a guy had chosen her over me. I just didn't think it would happen again, especially up here at my school. She didn't know anything about this university until I described my crazy friends and all the fun we've had exploring campus and attending all the different campus events.
In high school Annabel was the cheerleader who went to all the parties and had all the friends. I played softball and had whatever person I was talking to that day. She dated head football players while I pined over my best friend, Michael. She ended up dating Michael too.
I didn't notice that Annabel had slowed down to catch a moment to talk with me.
“What's wrong with you?” she asked.
“Nothing.”
“You're a bad liar.” I didn't say anything. “So, you're not going to tell me what that comment was for?”
“What comment?”
“The one about me flirting.”
“Oh, that.”
“Yeah, oh that. What was that? And you said it in front of Jessica.”
“Jessica knows you're a flirt.”
“I wasn't flirting with Johnny.”
“Well he was flirting with you, and you didn't stop it.”
“You're just seeing things. Besides, you weren't talking. Someone had to fill the void. I've never seen you so quiet.”
“Don't do this again.”
“What?”
“You did this with Michael.”
“Don't bring him up. I didn't even know you liked him. You never told me.”
“I was always around him. Always trying to get his attention.”
“He asked me out and he was cute. I didn't know you liked him. I'm sorry. I've already told you I was sorry. Will that ever go away?”
“Not when you're doing it again. I'll tell you very clearly, I like him so don't take him.”
“Fine.” She picked up her pace toward the dorm and was able to get several feet ahead of me.
“Fine then, just run off,” I yelled.
“I'm not running off, I'm just walking,” she said, not looking back.
“Well, you're trying to get away from me.”
“I'm just walking fast. I can't help that I walk fast.” Her fast walking helped us reach Jessica and Johnny at the girls entrance of the dorm, where they had waited for us, a bit faster.
“I think I'll just leave then,” I said. “You're mad and running away from me anyway. So, I'll do the same.” I started walking towards my car. Johnny and Jessica slowly started inching towards the front door of the dorm.
“What do you want me to say?” she asked.
I turned around and saw her gripping the rail of the handicap entrance. “What can you say, Annabel?”
“I could ask why you're always such a jerk to me.”
“Because you take everything I want. Why do you do that?” Annabel's face was getting red from frustration.
“I don't try to take everything. Stop being so, so you.” She threw her drink and the cup busted as it hit the ground about three feet in front of me. Jessica opened the girl to the girls side and let Johnny in after her.
“Were you trying to hit me?” I asked.
“No, I wanted that drink,” she said. “It kind of slipped.”
“You threw it. Now you have no drink.”
“I wasn't thirsty anymore.”
“Good, you don't have a drink anymore.”
We stood in silence for a few moments. Sometimes we looked at each other, sometimes we looked out at the walking paths around the dorm. Annabel sighed and said, “Are we still going out tonight?”
“Sure,” I said. “We'll probably have to find Jessica and Johnny.”
“Maybe we shouldn't invite Johnny.”
“Why? I'd like to dance with him,” I said.
“Well you call him. I'll go talk to Jessica.”
She went up the ramp and through the door to her dorm. I went to my car so that I could head home to change.
I wanted to believe that Annabel didn't want to hurt me on purpose. When we were younger we'd yell and get over it. Back then we used to argue over dolls and candy. Now fights, like the one about Johnny, were getting slightly more serious.
Before Annabel had gotten to Mississippi we had a fight over the phone about her boyfriend, Nick. She asked me, “What if I go there and he doesn't want me anymore. What if no one after him wants me.”
“Guys will always ask you out, and they always have. Don't give me that,” I said.
“But he's the guy I love,” she said. “You don't know what it's like.”
“You're right. I can't understand this.” I laid down and moved the phone to the other hand.
“Michelle, don't be like that. I wasn't trying to get you mad at me. Why can't you just be my big sister for like five seconds.”
“Why do you even talk to me if you're just going to ignore everything I say. I'm trying to be a good sister and be honest with you.”
“I don't ignore what you say,” Annabel said. “I just don't think you know what you're talking about.”
“I've seen the way he's treated you the last year. He doesn't deserve you.”
“That's not fair. He's just had a rough time.”
“Not fair? He's done drugs, got caught, was sent to jail and then dropped out of college. He also doesn't seem to think he's done anything wrong and doesn't want a better life for the two of you.”
“I'm going to hang up,” she said.
“Please do,” I said, but hung up on her first. I just didn't want my little sister to be hurt, but I didn't know how to explain how I felt to her without fighting.
I realized when I started driving home that I still needed to call Johnny to go out with us. I wanted him to go, but I don't know what I expected from the night.
“Johnny,” I said when I got him on the phone.
“Hey, Michelle. Are you and Annabel okay?” he asked.
“Oh yeah, we're fine. We were wondering if you still wanted to go out with us tonight.”
“You two aren't fighting anymore?” he asked.
“No, we're being big girls now,” I joked.
“Okay, then I'd like to go,” he said.
“Great. Meet us downstairs in about fifteen minutes. I'm running home to change.”
“Okay.”
I wanted to have fun that night, but I was afraid of putting Annabel and Johnny back in the same room together. I had to look good. Johnny had rarely seen me dressed up. I went into my closet at home and hoped that I owned something that would look good. I knew Annabel would look fantastic.
Out of all my clothing one top seemed appropriate. It happened to be one I had bought when Annabel and I went shopping. It was modest, yet it had the Annabel touch. Guys liked the Annabel touch. I also grabbed a pair of red heels that we bought that same weekend. I found a pair of clean jeans and finished getting ready so I could hurry back.
When I pulled back into the parking lot of the dorm I called Annabel. “Are you ready? I'm parked outside.”
“I'll be out in a few seconds,” she said. “Is Johnny going?”
“Yeah, he's downstairs.”
“Jessica and I will be there in a minute.” I was surprised when they actually came down in about a minute. That had to be Jessica.
“So, where are we going?” Annabel asked.
“You know this is more of a retirement community than a party town, right? The whole club scene may not be what you were thinking it would be,” I warned.
“I just want to go out in my heels,” she said. “There has to be some place to go.”
She was wearing the pink pumps that she fell in love with one shopping trip, and the outfit she bought weeks later just to go with the heels. I was happy that she was wearing jeans, because if she had been wearing a skirt, or worse some Daisy-Duke shorts, I would have felt terrible.
“I saw the sign at the tavern said the Burnt Herrings are playing,” I said.
“What kind of place is that?” Annabel asked.
“It's a hang out bar,” I said. “I'll just drive by and let you decide.”
I drove up and circled the parking lot. After a few moments Annabel said, “No.”
“Well, there's a bar down the street where I've listed to bands,” I said.
“Okay, let's try it,” she said. When Annabel saw the building she said no, so I kept driving past. “I say Johnny chooses.”
He grumbled, but picked the country bar next to the bowling alley which was famous for karaoke and underage drinking. It was really the only choice left.
We paid the cover and went into the back room. I had never been in there on a Saturday before, so I was excited to find that there was a dance floor and a DJ. Sadly no one was dancing because they were there to drink.
Johnny found a table while we rubbed off the happy birthday stamps that were barely pressed to our skin. Those were supposed to prove we were too young for alcohol.
“Why don't you go dance with Michelle, Johnny,” Annabel said, trying to prove she wasn't interested.
“Sure, I'll dance with her,” he said.
He led me out to the dance floor and started spinning me around. Our dancing didn't fit the music, but I was enjoying myself. I looked over at Annabel and smiled. She had Jessica out on the dance floor dancing with her.
“How's my dancing?” Johnny asked.
“You're doing fine.” I smiled. This was the first time I had ever danced with him.
“Are you sure? I don't look stupid?”
“You look good.” I couldn't stop smiling. “Just go with the music.”
“I thought I was going with the music.” He stopped dancing. “Let's go sit down, I know I look stupid.”
“Johnny, you're dancing so well,” Annabel said when she overheard him.
“Really?” he asked. “It doesn't look bad, Annabel?”
“Here, let me show you a little bit,” Annabel said. Johnny started dancing with her and I awkwardly stood mid-dance floor. I waited one song, dancing alone, before walking back to the table. I grabbed my keys and phone before going outside so I could cry without them seeing me. I didn't realize, but Annabel had followed me out.
“I'm sorry,” Annabel said. “Don't take that the wrong way.”
“Just take him if you really want him that bad,” I said.
“I wasn't trying to take him. I was showing him a little bit about dancing.”
“He was dancing with me. With me! And you just jumped in there like always. Always perfect. Always the one guys want.”
“Johnny doesn't want me. I was just helping him dance.”
“I was helping him dance.”
“I'm sorry,” she said again.
“I just don't understand. You have Nick, just leave my life alone. You say I don't understand, but you don't understand.”
She sat down next to me. “I know I have Nick, but you don't even like him.”
“So you want to take the one I like from me? You think I'll approve of Johnny more than Nick?”
“No, I'm not trying to take him. I want him to ask you out,” Annabel said. “I just like being around him. If you like him, I know he's a good guy. I fell in love with, well, a guy who's kind of a loser.”
I couldn't stop my tears. “I just don't understand, Annabel. Why does he want you instead of me?” I kept thinking about the freedom I felt in moving away to school. I felt like I had a new life. When Annabel followed me to college it was like I was back in high school again.
“They all want you, Annabel. I'll just have to marry one before you meet him.”
“Michelle, that's not true.”
“Just leave me alone.” I stood up and headed toward my car. Annabel followed behind me. I turned and said, “Why do you like to ruin my life.” I wanted to be angry. To scream at her. But my voice just got lower and more difficult to understand.
“I'm not trying to ruin anything, I swear.” She reached out to grab my hand and I pulled farther away from her.
“Why don't you just move home and marry Nick. It would solve both our problems.”
I kept walking to my car and fumbled for my keys. I turned around and saw Annabel slowly walking back to the bar. I unlocked the car and opened the door. I sat down and put the key in the ignition. Annabel was still outside the bar when I looked back at her.
“Annabel, wait,” I yelled. She stopped walking, but didn't turn around. “I'm sorry.” She started walking again, this time at her faster pace. I jumped out, slamming the door, and ran back toward the bar. I wobbled in the heels as I ran. A pothole grabbed the back of the left shoe and pulled me down. “Crap!” I yelled.
Annabel turned back and looked at me as she got to the door. “What did you do?” she asked across the parking lot. A door closed near me and I saw two girls laughing as they passed by. Annabel put her hand out when she reached me. “You really shouldn't wear those if you're just going to break them.”
I took her hand and let her pull me up. I tried to stand but my left heel collapsed and I pulled Annabel to the ground with me as I fell again.
“Michelle, I was trying to help you up, jerk.” She got up and dusted her clothes off.
“It was an accident. Sorry.” I took my shoe off and threw it at her. “See, the heel broke.”
“Don't throw your stupid, broken shoe at me.” She started walking toward to the building again. I caught a glimpse of Johnny and Jessica past Annabel as they headed back into the bar.
“Are you running away from me again?” I asked.
“You threw a shoe at me. I think we're done.” She turned back to face me.
“Come talk with me, please. I don't want to fight anymore.”
“We're always going to fight. Always have.”
“Annabel, were you crying?” I asked when I noticed her mascara running.
“I just found out my sister hates my existence and wants me to make the worst mistake of my life, just to get me to leave her alone.”
“That's what I'm apologizing for,” I said. “I shouldn't have been so mean about Nick. It's your life.”
“He's cheating on me.” She came back and sat near my pothole. “His new girlfriend, or whatever she is, has been calling me from his phone.” She put her hands on her face so I couldn't see the tears.
“Has he talked to you?” I asked.
“We've talked. He said she's just a girl from work.” She wiped the black from her cheeks. “I don't want to be alone, Michelle. I don't know what I'll do without him.”
I moved over and put my arm around her. “You'll live. You'll go to school. You'll meet another guy, just not Johnny.”
She laughed which caused her to hiccup between the sobs. “I don't like Johnny.”
“With all the guys that have liked you, how can you believe you'll be alone very long?”
“What if I'm meant to be with guys like Nick?” she asked. “I mean, we're both attractive, but not very smart.”
I nudged her shoulder and said, “Don't talk about my sister like that. Only I can call her stupid.” She laughed. “You are intelligent. You moved two states away. You got yourself away from a bad situation.”
“Just to hurt you. I should have just stayed home.” She put her head down in her hands again. A car pulled past us and parked a few spots away. They whispered something I assumed to be about us as they walked to the bar. “We should go back in,” she said as she stood up. I pulled my other shoe off so I could too.
“I love you,” I said. “You know that right?”
“I love you, too,” she said.
“I'm glad you're here. I can't lie though, I'm not always going to like it. I'll try to be nicer.”
“And I'll try not to steal anymore guys from you so you can get married one day.”
“Ha, ha, aren't you funny.”
“Let's go back in,” Annabel said.
“I have no shoes.”
She looked down at my feet. “Do you have any extras in the car? Flip-flops or something?”
“I don't know. Wait, where are my keys?” We looked around the pothole but they weren't on the ground. Annabel reached her hand in to see if they dropped in the pothole. They weren't there either. “Not tonight,” I said.
“Check the car,” she said, already walking to it. She opened the door and leaned in to look for them. She pulled herself back out and dangled the keys in front of me. “They were in the ignition. Maybe it is a good thing I'm here.”
We laughed and fumbled through my car for my flip-flops. I found them in the trunk and tossed my broken red heels in their place before slamming the back shut. I put the flip-flops on and headed back into the club with Annabel to enjoy the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment