Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Happily Ever After - Poem

My Happily Ever After
by: Jennifer Nelson

I’m tired of hearing
fairy tales,
romance,
happy endings.
Snow white road off with her prince charming,
Sleeping beauty was awoken by a kiss,
but where is my happily ever after?
I continue through my days
with everyone smiling around me,
but I sit hiding behind a fake smile.
I want the shoe
to fit perfectly so my prince
will take me to the ball.
Maybe a spell
to turn me into the princess
of his dreams.
Instead I long for something that will never
happen. I want my Disney happy ending
that I’ve been promised.

Those fairy tales lied.

No one gets romanced
anymore. My friends got lucky
in finding each other.
Finding another person who wants
some sort of tale of their own.
Most of life leaves
you to fend for yourself.
The prince doesn’t come and you have to battle
the dragon all alone.
Some pretend you become stronger,
but all that happens is you lose
your princess effect.
Then your prince doesn’t see you
as his damsel in distress.
You fit into the new mold of woman,
the woman of the world,
the woman who is too independent
for her own good.

I just want my turn too,
but I don’t know who to be.
Maybe some fake,
whiney child who can’t live on her own.
I’ve been made much stronger
than that. Some day I’ll get a prince
who wants a princess
who travels with him.
A princess who will be by his side fighting
the evil witch.
That’s where I’ll find my fairy tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment