Monday, July 26, 2010

Piece of "Finally" manuscript

This is a piece of my manuscript "Finally" (which is a working title right now). It jumped out at me today and I wanted to share it.

I leaned in when Eric put his arm on the back of the couch. He looked down at me and smiled. We both looked back at the t.v. while he flipped through to find something to watch.
When his arm fell on my shoulder I leaned in a little closer. “What do you want to watch?” he asked.
“I really don't care,” I said. “Just pick something you like.” I tried to get myself comfortable and just about found a spot when my phone rang.
I picked it up and saw Stephen's number. “It's been awhile since I've heard from him,” I said. “Sorry, Eric.”
“It's okay. I'll get us something to drink.”
As he walked to the kitchen I flipped my phone open. “Hello?” I asked.
“Megan? Hey, how are you?” Stephen asked.
“I'm good. How about you?” My brain searched for a possible reason he could be calling.
“I'm good. I've got something to tell you.” He sounded nervous.
“Okay, what's up?” I asked. Eric came back with a drink in each hand.
“You remember Nikki, right?” he asked.
“That's Johnny's cousin, I believe,” I said.
“Yeah, well she and I kind of been dating,” he said.
“That's real cool, Stephen,” I said. “You finally found someone you can stand longer than a day. I told you someone would eventually not suck.” Eric handed me a cup and I took a sip.
“Yeah, she doesn't suck,” he mumbled. “Megs, I asked her to marry me.”
“Wow,” I said choking on my drink. “Is she pregnant?” Eric gave me a funny look and started to ask what was going on. I waved him off and started pacing behind the couch. “Stephen, seriously, you don't have to marry her just because she's pregnant.”
I heard him panic on the other end and whisper to someone else. “Megan, it's not like that at all. I love her, as strange as that sounds coming from me.”
“Put Johnny on the phone,” I said. “I know he's standing there.”
“Okay,” Stephen handed the phone away.
“No, I don't want to, oh hey, Megan,” Johnny stammered. “How are you?”
“Johnny, what they hell is going on?” I asked.
“Stephen and Nikki fell in love, or some crap like that,” he said.
“So, she's really not pregnant?” I asked. “Be honest with me.”
“Megan, she is not pregnant, and I'm done talking about my cousin and Stephen. How are you doing?” Johnny asked.
“I'm actually busy right now,” I said. “Tell Stephen I'll call him later, or he can send me an e-mail if he's too scared to talk to me.” I hung up and sat back on the couch.
“Bad news?” Eric asked.
“Weird news,” I said. “My friend Stephen is getting married to the cousin of my friend Johnny.”
Eric laughed. “How is that so weird? People get married sometimes.”
“Stephen said the only way he'd ever get married is if the father was holding a shot gun because she was pregnant.” I took a quick breath. “So, I assumed she was pregnant, but apparently in a couple of months they fell in love.”
He pulled me to him on the couch and ran his fingers through my hair.
“Sometimes you know quickly, and sometimes you need time,” he said. I rested my head on his chest. “it really doesn't take much to calm you down, does it?”
“No, not really,” I said. “It is just a weird thought that they are engaged.” I enjoyed the feeling of my head oh his chest. “I'll call him tomorrow to apologize.”
“Okay,” Eric said. He started to move his finger back and forth along my ear. I twitched from the tingling feeling and shifted to look up at him. It had been awhile since anyone had kissed me, but I still knew the look right before. He ran his fingers from my ear down to my mouth and then back up towards the other ear. “You're beautiful, you know.”
“Stop it,” I said, turning my head away.
“So confident until someone compliments you,” Eric said. “Well, I don't take it back.” He kept brushing his fingers against my face. The only reaction I had was to close my eyes and enjoy it. Before I knew it we were kissing on my couch with the sound of the channel guide music playing.
When he pulled away and kissed my forehead I saw him grab the remote that had fallen to the floor. I sat straight up on the couch scared that I had done something wrong.
“Sorry,” I said. I stared into the television, not wanting to look at him.
“What do you have to be sorry for?” he asked.
“For whatever made you stop and pull away. I haven't really done this in awhile.”
“I stopped because I needed some air. Plus, I wanted to find a movie or something for us to watch. Or kind of watch.” He put his arm back around me. “You did nothing wrong. No apologies. I'm the one who went for it.”
“Are you sure I didn't do anything wrong?” I heard myself and knew I sounded ridiculous, but I felt so nervous around him.
He leaned back in and kissed me again. He pulled me forward to the point of being on top of him and held me there in an embrace while we kissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment